The 12 months 2020 wouldn’t be full with no recap of America’s worst insurance coverage fraud crimes.
Homeless New Yorkers focused in a $31.7 million slip-and-fall ring. A sober-home mogul trades intercourse for medicine. A billionaire insurance coverage mogul makes an attempt to bribe a state insurance coverage commissioner. These are among the many latest members of the Insurance Fraud Hall of Shame inducted by the Coalition Against Insurance Fraud:
- Slip ring stumbles. Bryan Duncan employed a whole lot of homeless individuals to faux $31.7 million of painful accidents from setup falls in opposition to companies in New York Metropolis. Many had unneeded surgical procedure. Federal sentence: 80 months.
- Fired up, watered down. Dozens of outdated homes have been burned and flooded in a $1.7-million scheme by Patrick Wayne Bronnon’s ring in Texas. Additionally they insured faux possessions. State sentence: 78 years in state jail, although Bronnon died in July 2020.
- Stolen Valor. Richard Meleski claimed he was a Navy SEAL wounded in Beirut, Lebanon. But the Pennsylvania man by no means served within the army. He invented the heroics to steal greater than $300,000 of federal incapacity cash. Federal sentence: pending.
- Meals folly. Tainted meals sickened Jacqueline Masse, the New Hampshire lady stated. She filed almost $400,000 of false claims in opposition to harmless eating places and grocery shops. Masse additionally stole her kids’s identities for claims. State sentence: 18 months.
- Bribery boondoggle. Billionaire insurance coverage mogul Greg E. Lindberg tried to bribe North Carolina’s insurance coverage commissioner $2 million to ease state regulation of his corporations. As an alternative, Insurance coverage Commissioner Mike Causey and the FBI wired Lindberg’s bribery try. Federal sentence: seven years.
- Intercourse, medicine, betrayal. Christopher Bathum traded intercourse for medicine to addicted ladies at his rehab amenities in a $175-million insurance coverage rip-off. The Los Angeles-area man additionally gave sufferers medicine in order that they’d relapse for costlier rehab. State sentence: 52 years.
- Pores and skin-deep rip-off. Dr. David Morrow billed uninsured magnificence surgical procedure as medically important in a $50-million rip-off. The Beverly Hills surgeon charged tummy tucks as hernia repairs, and nostril work as fixing deviated septums. Federal sentence: 20 years.
- Rapper fraud racket. Would-be Chicago rapper Qaw’mane Wilson had his mom shot for all times insurance coverage and her financial savings to flaunt cash and construct up his fan base. State sentence: 99 years.
Was this text precious?
Listed here are extra articles it’s possible you’ll take pleasure in.
An important insurance coverage information,in your inbox each enterprise day.
Get the insurance coverage trade’s trusted e-newsletter